Here are 10 examples of cultural heritage sites or traditions that are either gaining international recognition or facing challenges:
1. Angkor Wat, Cambodia – One of the largest religious monuments in the world built in the early 12th century. Facing challenges from overcrowding and damage from frequent visitors.
2. Machu Picchu, Peru – A 15th-century Inca citadel located in the Andes Mountains, recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Facing challenges from overcrowding and damage from visitors.
3. The Great Wall, China – A series of fortifications made of stone, brick, tamped earth, wood, and other materials that were built as a defense against invading Mongols in the 14th century. Facing challenges from damage by tourists and erosion.
4. The Taj Mahal, India – A white marble mausoleum built in the 17th century that is one of the most recognizable landmarks in India. Facing challenges from pollution and overcrowding.
5. The Great Barrier Reef, Australia – The world’s largest coral reef system, home to thousands of fish species and marine organisms. Facing challenges from climate change, pollution and environmental degradation.
6. The Pyramids of Giza, Egypt – Built by the ancient Egyptians thousands of years ago, the pyramids are among the most recognizable structures in the world. Facing challenges from overcrowding and pollution.
7. The Grand Canyon, USA – One of the world’s most famous natural wonders, the canyon attracts millions of visitors each year. Facing challenges from overcrowding and climate change.
8. Stonehenge, UK – A prehistoric monument consisting of a ring of standing stones in Wiltshire, UK. Facing challenges from overcrowding and damage from visitors.
9. The Alhambra, Spain – A palace and fortress complex built during the 14th century in Granada, Spain. Recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it faces challenges from overcrowding and damage from visitors.
10. The Venice Carnival, Italy – An annual festival that dates back to the 11th century, known for its elaborate masks, costumes, and celebrations. Facing challenges from modernization and commercialization.